Wednesday, January 9, 2013

She Makes Quilts

 Proverbs 31:22 She makes coverings for her bed


The Proverbs 31 woman is very energetic - she gets up early to take care of her household, she deals in fine linens and scarlet cloth...and she makes sure her family is warm in the winter by making bed coverings. 

There are a lot more virtues to this woman, but as I read this passage today I kinda focused in on the quilting part (grin).


One thing that I did today, like the Proverbs 31 woman, was get up early! About an hour earlier than yesterday thinking I'd do better about fitting in my exercising. I'm sooo glad no one can see my pitiful attempts! Today I thought I'd try zumba. What a hoot!





I do love this song and I like these ladies (they have several YouTubes so I hope to learn to do more) - I attempted three different "dances" but have to admit I just managed to jump around a bit - but that's okay - I was moving right! And I  was laughing at myself - so it proved to be a great way to start my day.


Here's a close up of the customer quilt I finished this afternoon. I was most eager to get it finished so I could work on something special....

How do you like my color choices?  This is the beginnings of a class sample.... back in 2005 I designed a very simple quilt to teach basic beginning techniques....rotary cutting, quarter inch seam, chain piecing, strip piecing, basic four patch, basic block construction, assembling the blocks into the quilt top...and then how to "quilt it" by stitch in the ditch free motion quilting on the domestic sewing machine and finishing it up by hand sewn binding.... the original class was taught to high school girls in the young mothers class in Galveston. The finished quilt was for their newborns or expected babies. It was most rewarding to teach these young ladies a viable skill . I'm sad to report that I lost touch with them, but it is my hope and desire that at least a few of them continued and caught the "quilting bug".

Now it's time to teach beginners again. I've been wanting to do this for over a year now and the time is soon approaching. This afternoon, in a matter of a few hours, I cut out all the strips needed for the project and began the piecing...

Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to complete the class sample and set dates for new students to embark on this journey of quilting...then it too can be said of them..."she makes quilts"





A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 
Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
12 
She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 
She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
14 
She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 
She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
16 
She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 
She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 
She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 
In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 
She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 
She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 
She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 
She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 
She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 
Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 
“Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Proverbs 31:10-31



1 comment:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a neat thing to do! And I'm sure they will use at least some of what you taught them forever. You are a wonder!