Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Between Market and Festival - phase 1 studio redo

Quilt Market ended Monday at 4 PM and Festival begins Wednesday at 7 PM so what's a gal to do between now and then? (grin)

Well, first of all, organize all the purchases and samples and tons of brochures collected at Market!

By far, this is the lightest load I've had in all my years of attending Market, due primarily to being in a booth more than looking at booths - but that's okay, I still had a blast!

The two tote bags in the background were gifts, as were one or two patterns. Several thread companies gave me samples to try and I purchased several large cones from Fil-Tec . I was able to test out their new Glide in the A-1 booth and so far so good - lots of doodles go on a practice fabric at a show and there were no thread breaks with multiple users, so I think that's a good thing. I will be playing around with more of their thread as well as other manufacuturers over the next several months so stay tuned for that report.

Okay, so what did I do on my day off? Boss poor hubby around (grin). Here's his "honey do" project for today...

This is ONE corner of my studio that has been cleared to paint the walls. As you can see from the close up, we inherited this wild paneling that I've been wanting to cover up for several years.

I liked to tease that under the quilts on the wall were "flying geese!"

Not an easy task, first the wall had to be sealed before it could be painted.

Next came a nice coat of light purple (naturally). We laughed when he saw the date on the paint can 10/15/05, right before we moved into the house...if any of you remember back in 2005 that was right after Hurricane Rita - which delayed the closing on our house, bumped back the move in date, and totally put off the opportunity to paint the studio before moving in.

By the way, in 2005 on the day between Market and Festival, Stewart Plank came to set up my A-1. We hadn't even moved any furniture in yet! So guess you can figure that my longarm and longarm business have always had high priorities (grin). Truth be told, we purchased this house primarily for the room that I would call my studio (thought you might enjoy a little history)

Okay, so here's how it looks late afternoon. The corner is now painted and as I type, hubby is taping off to paint the trim. I've purchased shelving that I hope can go up tomorrow before I go back at noon to enlarge our booth for Festival...if not, it will be next week and I'll just live in this mess -- but it's so worth it! I've waited sooooo long and will do my best to be patient as we work around the room to get it all one color and no more wildlife!


Vicki W said...

That is some paneling! My hubby is painting all but 2 rooms in our house while I am here in Houston this week. I can't wait to get home and see my "new" house.

Judy said...

That's some pretty fancy paneling you painted over. ;-)
Paint is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Can't wait to see what comes next. Very inspiring.

sdgodfrey said...

Oh my goodness! That looks like the very same paneling my husband put in his bathroom before we started dating! He wanted to use it in our house after we got married but I vetoed that idea! Thanks for the memories!

Cut-N-Shoot Quilting Diva said...

oh...exciting! Congratrs on your "new" studio!