Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I really have been busy, promise!

As much as I ramble I think sometimes folks get a little worried if I'm silent (grin). Well, I'm coming up for air and thought I'd share what I've been up to lately.

Just today I made a grocery tote bag for my mom. A day late, her birthday was yesterday. SIGH. but I think she'll still like it. I found the pattern in Quilt April/May 2009 #99 issue. So what do you think? It has nice handles too.

I really have been doing more than fooling around with a grocery tote -- I've been covered up the past few weeks with some beautiful custom quilts. These quilts will be in an upcoming guild show in Kingwood the first weekend of May -- oh! before I show you the latest quilts I just have to show you the raffle quilt for Kingwood -- I quilted it!

You can find out more about it and how to purchase tickets on their website.

Here's a couple of quilts that I've done this month -- again, both will be in the upcoming show.


Its hard to see the quilting in these photos...perhaps you can click on them to make them larger (?!?!) I'm not sure. If not, you can visit my webshots and make them larger there -- or better yet, see them in person! I felt like the quilt needed matching thread because the focus really is on all the beautiful fabrics. I really like this quilt. It's done with wool batting and is very densely quilted.

This next quilt has got to be the largest quilt that has ever graced my frame and one that was on it the longest! 109 x 122. Whew! It took a long time to get to the bottom of this one! Ah, but what joy to be able to hang it up and see it finally in it's fullest!


I loved using the wool batting on this, gives the seashell a faux trapunto look don't you think?


By seeing the back I think you can get a better picture of how dense the quilting is on this quilt.


It's sometimes hard to "see" the quilting with matching thread -- here's the front border treatment as well as the view from the back.



This photo shows what's left of my cone of thread! The blue represents the size the white one started out at! I estimate over 4,000 yards were used in this quilt!


So now can you see why I fooled around and made a grocery tote today? GRIN

I just love my job!

3 comments:

Zlaty said...

You did beautiful jobs on those quilts Karen!
I know your mom will understand! Don't moms always!:))

Happy sewing and well deserved rest!

Zlaty

fancystitching said...

BEAUTIFUL work, Karen! After all that custom work you really deserve some "down time" to piece something for fun-sies. I do Wonder Wallets when I need down time.

Kat

Merete said...

The quilting is gorgeous, I'm sure the customer loves it.