Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Quilts of Hope delivered

Today all the Quilts of Hope that have accumulated in my studio during the past few weeks waiting for a home were disbursed...Four large ones went home with Sherry from Mainland Morning Guild. She is working with an organization in Galveston that is focusing on "one family at a time" to make sure their needs are met. Sherry's adoptive family consists of a grandmother raising her three grandchildren. In addition to the Quilts of Hope they will be provided with a lot of basic necessities to set up house keeping. I don't know how many families this organization is assisting, I just know of the one Sherry is working with. The need is so great, I can't imagine!

The remaining quilts (approx. 40-50) that hadn't already found a home were taken to Maranatha Baptist Church in San Leon -- you may remember me sharing about this little church in the early days after Ike...Bro Bill told me today that the timing couldn't be better - that now was the time folks were beginning to come back to their homes and replace items to set up housekeeping again. He said if the quilts had come quickly after Ike that they really would have been in the way of clean up. This was reassuring as I had been concerned since I had spoken to him months ago concerning quilts and felt bad I was just now following up (smile). See, God's timing is perfect.

As you can see from the photos, this little church was in the center of the storm - there is still debris on the side of the road to be picked up -- it was encouraging to walk inside the building and see new sheetrock, someone working on installing the new bathrooms, and the chairs set up for services. Also in the room were tables where the ladies are sorting through clothing and dontated items. I didn't think to get a photo of the "quilt pile" added to the tables (sigh) but just know that these quilts will be given out to familes in the San Leon area who are in the process of rebuilding and restoring their lives.

As the sign says "Prayer changes things" -- why not take a moment and pray for the Ike survivors, not just here in Galveston county, but all over the Texas Gulf Coast and other hard hit areas -- it was a "Texas Size" storm that did a lot, a lot of damage! As we approach Thanksgiving I can't help but be thankful that our home was spared and that we have such wonderful quilting friends nationwide that are allowing me to be the facilitator in giving out these quilts of hope to my neighbors! God bless you all!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Karen,
I have another box of 25 child size quilts ready to go minus quilt labels that will be sewn on Friday night. I will send them out next week if you think you can find homes for them. Let me know it this is ok.
Hugs
Ginny