Monday, June 8, 2009

Lessons for a Monday (or anyday!)


My thoughts this morning were the hurrieder I go the behinder I get . Seems I feel pulled in so many directions as I try to get a start on this week....my bathroom has been 'under construction' for a week now - who would have thought painting would be such an ordeal - but try showering without a shower curtain and see how many towels you wash in a week (grin)...then there's the underlying 'unknown' with son #2 being sick, took a week to get a doctor's appointment but we have one for tomorrow praise God...and now hubby is feeling rather run over, wonder if the doctor would see both at the same time? hum...that's a phone call that needs to be done. And then there's my own personal goals and deadlines...not easy to be the 'owner of your own business' when there's not enough hours in the day to take care of home and business. Been known to work into the wee hours...but sometimes that's just too much...I'm looking at two major custom quilts that have immediate deadlines and wondering okay God how am I going to do all this?




A song I sang in my high school choir came to me (never mind how long ago that was):

when I think I'm goin' under,
part the waters Lord.
When I think I'm goin' under
calm the sea.

When I cry for help,
oh hear me Lord,

and hold out Your hand.
Still the waves
and calm the raging storm in me.

I can only remember that small portion of that simple chorus but it has helped me focus for many a troubled times. Taking a deep breath I then thought there are lots of scriptures that are calming during troubled times, lots of scriptures that tell us to be still or to wait upon the Lord, that He is our deliverer.

With that in mind I dusted off a Bible that I had used when my kids were young, you know, the one with all the notes in the margin, not the new one that I take to church (grin)....when the kids were little we had lots and lots of children Christian cassettes and videos. I learned many a scripture verse to song (and I hope my kids did too)...and I recorded a lot of these verses in the back of my Bible under the Personal Study Notes page....this is what I rediscovered this morning. By the way, singing is a wonderful way to commit things to memory. Perhaps that's why so many of the old hymns come to mind in troubled times or good times, they were inspired by scripture. Many of today's songs are too. I just love praise and worship music, listen to it the majority of my day....anyway, back to the verses recorded together in the pages of my older Bible... The collection was presented in song by a recording called GT and the Halo Express: Winning the Great Race of Faith. (And I just found out they are still available after 15+ years! So if you have children or grandchildren these story tapes with scripture songs comes highly recommended) It's my hope that these verses will speak to you as they did me and encourage you to keep running.

Romans 15:5,6 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things and at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, and have been called according to His purpose.

Isaiah 40:30,31 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men strumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew thieir strenghth. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

Isaiah 43:2,3 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

Romans 8:38,39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 John 5:4,5 For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Hebrews 10:35,36 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.

2 Timothy 4:7,8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteouness, which the Lod, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing.


After this refreshing reading of the Word I believe now that I can face what ever today brings, and tomorrow for that matter, because my confidence is in the Lord and I know that whatever comes my way He will guide me through it and I'll be victorious due to His grace and mercy. Yep, good lesson for a Monday that I hope I'll carry with me all week!

2 comments:

fancystitching said...

Thank you, Karen, for your wonderful words of encouragement this morning! I too am SOOO busy today with canning (that I had not planned on doing, but when God gives you cucumbers, you make pickles!) quilting, Monday housework, and obligations this evening.

Nothing puts it all in perspective like the Word! Be blessed today my friend, in all you will do.

Kat

Cathy said...

When I am frazzled I always sing "Because He Lives I can face tomorrow" - Thanks for a great devotional today!