Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My smallest feathered wreath and other updates

Sometimes things don't always go as planned. The best laid plans can get thrown to the wind when life interrupts...more on that in a minute...I'd like for you to take a look at the smallest feathered wreath that I've ever quilted -- Yep, the center of this little miniature quilt was a blank square and I did the little wreath freehand on my longarm today. You can see the size as compared to my hopping foot. The corners were blank also and I did the little twisted continuous curves. Doesn't it make this little quilt come alive!

I'll share more photos once the quilt has been delivered to the customer -- I feel like it's only fair that they get to see their quilt first, and live not on the internet (grin)...so how does this work into my 'life is full of interruptions' topic of the evening? How 'bout the fact that this little quilt got some what suspended in the middle of quilting it this weekend as instead of me having a nice quiet Saturday quilting at home I spent the day in the Urgent Care unit and then the Emergency Room with Son #2. No details right now, just enough to say that it was a long day from him first text messaging me from work at 10 AM wondering if I'd take him to the doctor if he could get off at lunch time...then learning at lunch time that things had gotten pretty serious...by 1:30 we were in the waiting room of Urgent Care, by 4:30 they were telling us they didn't like the reports and sent us to the ER, by 9 PM we were home without the answers we need... so another interruption later this week as I go with him for a followup appointment at the doctors (hopefully, have to make the appointment). Again, details another time, just know that it was a long stressful day and by the time my "day off" on Sunday came around I was in no condition to make up for a lost day of customer quilting, instead I needed my own therapy.

Ta da - this is one of my unfinished projects from a border class I took last summer with Winnie Flemming. It's been waiting for the last set of borders -- the piano keys surrounded by the maroon strips. This was my afternoon project on Sunday.

This has been a fun project, and probably the most detailed piecing I have ever done. It's by no means perfect as it was a class project and I learned a lot. It's not quilted yet, and probably won't be for quite some time as I am behind in my customer quilts, but I didn't want to just fold it away with the other quilts in waiting, instead I've pinned it over the current wall quilt in my living room, the one that it will eventually replace, a blue one called "A Day with Elise" that I pieced and quilted a little over 3 years ago. It too had matching curtains...but those have been replaced with coordinating fabric that this new quilt matches. It's nice to shake off the old and bring in something fresh. Will be eager to quilt it, but in the meantime I can enjoy just looking at the colors. By the way, the quilt from last week's post is also of the same fabric line -- it will be a couch quilt.

Here's the close up of the final border -- kinda proud of my mitered corners, learned a new trick and it works!
The light isn't true on any of these photos, but guess that's what happens when you take photos late at night. As a refresher here's my curtains, I think I had them finished in time for my Christmas open house last year. Personal projects have a way of being dragged out!

Speaking of personal projects being put on hold...as well as life's little interruptions...we are also in the process of updating the bathroom -- going from a dull sand color to BRIGHT!

And did I mention that we only have one bathroom?!?!?!?! Enough said!


Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The quilt is lovely. And I sincerely hope your son will be fine again soon. Take care.

Zlaty said...

The quilt is very pretty! Great job on the micro quilting!
I hope your son will get better soon!

Have a great week!